NEW Economy & Corrections
where’s the money? stimulus package nuggets
Below is a list of monies from the stimulus package that may help your organization. Share the good, bad, ugly economy opinions in our forum or email us.
- $2 billion for the Byrne JAG formula grant program
- $1 billion for the COPS Office for the hiring and rehiring of additional career law enforcement officers and civilian public safety personnel. The Stimulus Package waives the 25% local match and the $75,000 per officer cap
- $225 million for Byrne competitive grants - for competitive, peer-reviewed grants to units of State, local, and tribal government, and to national, regional, and local non-profit organizations to prevent crime, improve the administration of justice, provide services to victims of crime, support critical nurturing and mentoring of at-risk children and youth, and for other similar activities
- read more
Rethinking the Mission, Spotlighting the Stakeholders:by Daniel Patrick Downen M.S. AJ/S
So often in the hurried world of corrections and going through our work routines in facilities and community correction casework, we lose sight of our purpose. We as corrections practitioners and leaders get caught up in the job of completing our duties and daily operations; we lose our way, our mission and our higher purpose. The idea of public trust, sound and competent government and public service is at best, placed on the back burner and at worst, forgotten. full story
Correctional Officer - Louisiana
Bilingual (Spanish) Correctional Officers For BOP Contract Facility in Pine Prairie, La. Applicants must pass background investigation which includes, criminal history and credit check. full job posting
- March: International
- April: Security/Technology
- May: Architecture
Treimer: I work in a 550 bed, campus style facility housing
min–max custody prisoners. We are trying to get a good
grip on our tool procedures. We have a pretty good daily control
and inventory process. I need to find a good database to put in
place to track the tools, tool boards, receipt, loss &
destruction of tools & sharps. Does anybody have something that
they use I can look at?
Bob: Each and every work area in which tools need to be accounted for such as the kitchen and the maintenance areas use shadowboards. The Lead officer in the area finds that a tool is needed, and.....more
- Keefe Group Launches New Technology Division, Access Corrections™
- NABCJ's Presidential Citation for Corporate Support Awarded to Keefe Group President
- Digital Solutions/Inmate Telephone, Inc. Releases Third Quarter Update
- CDCR Completes Deployment of ATG's Trust Fund & Commissary Systems
- Women in Criminal Justice Conference
April 14-19, 2009
The conference is for women at all levels working in all aspects of the criminal justice field.
- American Jail Association 28th Annual Training Conference and Jail Expo
April 26-30, 2009
The Louisville Metro Department of Corrections and the Kentucky Jailer's Association are proud to be the co-hosts for this year's conference in in Louisville, Ky.
- Experience the Riot @ The Mock Prison Riot
May 3-6, 2009
The National Institute of Justice, Office of Justice Programs and the West Virginia High Technology Consortium Foundation host the Mock Prison Riot on the grounds of the former West Virginia Penitentiary in Moundsville, West Virginia.
- Desert Waters Correctional Outreach Staff Wellness through Positive Leadership Conference
May 7-8, 2009
This conference will provide criminal justice professionals with evidence-based strategies that boost staff wellness, morale and performance
interactive pocket calendar
quote of the week
"Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965) British Politician