NEW Economy & Corrections
Kentucky again, this time $2 million saved and $150,000 given.
I realize this is the second Kentucky story I've posted this month and some of you may be wondering if I live there, but I don't. I'm actually a Connecticut girl, but everytime I look up Kentucky has another somethin' somethin' going on.
This time they've realized a $2 million/year savings from helping veterans transition out of prison [aka keeping them from becoming homeless and cycling back into prison]. read more
Snapshot of an Australian Prisonby Colin Rosewarne
Port Phillip Prison is a maximum security facility for male prisoners, located 18 km south-west of Melbourne. The 765-bed prison has been operated by G4S Australia for Corrections Victoria since it opened in 1997. Approximately 85 per cent of Port Phillip Prison’s population are prisoners serving custodial sentences and the remainder are on remand. full story
- Leadership for Challenging Times [part iv]
- Department Implements Innovative Improvements
to Disciplinary Segregation Unit
- Manipulation and Fear
Correctional Facility Superintendent - Vermont
The Vermont Department of Corrections seeks a seasoned proven correctional leader to manage the Chittenden Regional Correctional Facility, Vermont’s most active intake facility. full job posting
- April: Security/Technology
- May: Architecture
- June: Minority issues
How do they get the ash to make tats?
Detention: I’ve been working at the local county jail for about 7 months now, and have seen the tats that are made in there using ash and V05 shampoo. To get the ash they burn something underneath their bunks or inside the small locker and take the soot/ash that has accumulated on the top. What do they use to burn what they are burning? And what are they burning?...
TwelveOzCurl: When our institution stopped selling lighters and matches in commissary, we started finding the inmates had started using “AA” batteries and razor blades from their disposable razors to light their cigarrettes, wicks, etc...
algrob: Our inmates seem to be able to get lighters with no problems. Matches are sold on the commissary. Thanks for the information on the razor blade lighters, will start keeping my eyes just a little more open in the future.
bones46750: One way our inmates light things is using stingers and stretched out cotton from a cotton swab. We call cotton swabs “jailhouse matches”. full thread
- Keefe Group Partners with the Big Brothers Big Sisters Amachi Program
- Westchester County Department of Corrections selects Primonics’ Televisit Corrections ...
- Telcom Company to Establish National Engineering, Manufacturing, Technical Services Fa...
- Keefe Group Launches New Technology Division, Access Corrections™
- NABCJ's Presidential Citation for Corporate Support Awarded to Keefe Group President
- IACTP Call for Presentations
March 16 - April 30, 2009
When coming to this year’s conference [October 25th through October 28, 2009] don’t just plan on sitting through the workshops because this is your opportunity to share your knowledge with your peers.
- Women in Criminal Justice Conference
April 14-19, 2009
The conference is for women at all levels working in all aspects of the criminal justice field.
- American Jail Association 28th Annual Training Conference and Jail Expo
April 26-30, 2009
The Louisville Metro Department of Corrections and the Kentucky Jailer's Association are proud to be the co-hosts for this year's conference in in Louisville, Ky.
- Hepatitis B & C with HIV Co-infection (live webcast)
April 29, 2009
The Management of HIV/ AIDS in the Correctional & Community Setting is an on-going satellite videoconference, and webcast series designed to address clinical issues in the management of HIV-infected patients
- Experience the Riot @ The Mock Prison Riot
May 3-6, 2009
The National Institute of Justice, Office of Justice Programs and the West Virginia High Technology Consortium Foundation host the Mock Prison Riot on the grounds of the former West Virginia Penitentiary in Moundsville, West Virginia.
- Desert Waters Correctional Outreach Staff Wellness through Positive Leadership Conference
May 7-8, 2009
This conference will provide criminal justice professionals with evidence-based strategies that boost staff wellness, morale and performance
interactive pocket calendar
quote of the week
"Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm."
- Democritus (c. 460 BCE - c. 370 BCE) Ancient Greek Philosopher