>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    



Subscribe to 18USC926B LEOSA 3 posts, 2 voices

Login to reply

Male user cdpez 3 posts

That sounds about right. One of the reasons I’m asking is that in WA we are issued a specific ID card that authorizes CC based on the State law as long as the Officers meet certain criteria. That criteria is similar to the LEOSA requirements, however to my knowledge the State and the Department does not recognize our right to carry under LEOSA. (Not that they have to) That is not to say we are not qualified under the law, it’s just that our officers are unclear and generally hesitate to carry across state lines. I have written letters to high ranking officials and wisely they defer to the AGO. I’m still waiting for a response. So I’m trying to get a consensus from across the country to determine who does and who does not legitimately qualify. I’ve researched this six ways to Sunday. We qualify, but we don’t recognize our retired officers. I’m trying to get the Dept. to formally recognize our rights as Qualified Law Enforcement Officers under LEOSA so that we can lobby for Identification cards for our Retired Officers.

That said, if anyone has had any success with their own State/Department in securing their LEOSA rights, I’m willing to accept any of your suggestions, advice or recommendations that you may offer.

Male user eddie701 1 post

It depends on your agency .Here in N.Y when you retired you are issue a ID and a retired shield the ID card itself does not say you can carry,your Hr218 states your conceal carry so st all times when you carry across state to state you should have both cards the Hr218 card signify that you have qualified as a retired law enforcement officer I believe for active you don’t need the card your badge and ID is all you need Now if your agency labels your ID no firearms privileges for what ever reason then you cannot carry period
Hop this helps you out.

Male user cdpez 3 posts

I’m curious to know how many Correctional Agencies/Departments across the country recognize and acknowledge the LEOSA privilege for their Officers? If your agency authorizes concealed carry under LEOSA, does your Commission Card/Peace Officer ID state that you are authorized under 18 USC 926B LEOSA or something to that effect? Does your agency/Department have a written Policy?

Also, is there anyone that has or had the privilege while working but not after retirement? (926C) If that is the case I’d be interested to hear what the rationale is if known.

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015