>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Best way to handle unruly inmate

Subscribe to Best way to handle unruly inmate 61 posts, 29 voices

Login to reply

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

I absolutely agree. Never get into an argument with inmates, you never gain anything from that. Verbal judo is the best communication device and learn to listen to them to find out what they really are upset about. One thing is certain. If you tell the inmate what will happen if he doesn’t comply with your request by all means DO it, never back down on your commitment to take action when necessary.

Male user Afrobob 18 posts

A couple things I learned from a couple of wise men. First, one of my training Sergeants for Verbal Judo said, “if it feels good, don’t say it.” and then one of my psychology professors in college once said, “fear and anger are pretty much interchangeable. If someone is angry, try to figure out why they’re scared.” All in all, your goal is to deescalate the situation. If an inmate is screaming at you, concentrate on what information he’s trying to get across to you rather than concentrating on how he’s choosing to relay that information. Let the inmate know that you hear what he’s saying. Repeat it back so that he knows that you’re listening and then ask him if he has any viable solutions to offer to his particular problem. There’s nothing wrong with asking the question, “is there anything I can do right now to get you to calm down?” If the answer is no, then odds are, you’re not going to get anywhere with this guy and you should respond appropriately.

Sgm Sergeant Major 53 posts

I agree with the First Sergeant. Assess the situation, get backup if needed, have a course of action, and then implement it. mmmmmmmm…. Whatcha think TOP? Sounds like old Army stuff…

Male user Wiseguy 12 posts

We have all heard these words before. Fair, Firm and Consistent! Do your best to treat every inmate this way and you can’t go wrong.

Male user FIRST SERGEANT 6 posts

I always remember the old saying “Look before you leap.” Never go in blind. Always observe and assess. But most importantly, wait for assistance. Do your job, just remember we ain’t superheroes.

Male user plberes 2 posts

I find out whats going on first. There is usually a good reason. I get to the bottom of games. I investigate and then I act with a writeup. I have the patience of a mule and can be easy going until I get burned. This is the fourth prison I’ve worked at and the best warden so far. Teacher

Flag shakey 191 posts

I found out that, jumping up on the table and singing Aretha Franklins, “You better Stop”, works pretty well, at least they’ll think your crazy and will do what you say???

Male user Canusxiii 116 posts

ADSEG but before that know the rules,inmates know their rule books better than some of the CO’s
Knowing the rule book and knowing their names,difficult but it can be done,I got a housing unit with 80
inmates,I deal with 40,different rec periods.After a while you know their trouble makers.
Their are ways,Head Games to charges,example tampering with their doors,food ports,anything with
am asterisk on the rule book or my favorite when they bam on their doors,Rioting.
Their are ways……….Good luck.

Male user plberes 2 posts

What VERBALJUDO book should I buy first? I just started in corrections as a teacher, but I worked in a facility before. Its changed a lot since then and I see I have some catching up to do, what with gang bangers, and new technologies.

Female user jm2202 1 post

I’ll tell you what..size means nothing at all. I am only 5 feet tall, but I also have 3 kids!!!! I am a CO and can pretty much make a situation whichever way I want it to go. You can either deescalate the situation, or if the inmate needs to relocate to segregation, you can oush that line too. Just be careful what you do and always think about if your actions will cost you your job. One bone-head is not worth loosing your job! Remember, you go home every night, they don’t.

Northwest hounded police animated avatar 100x100 90714 prznboss 44 posts

If the gerbil voodoo doesn’t work it’s face down on the ground, cuffed behind the back, and then off to the hole!

Flag shakey 191 posts

No, That’s not me at all, Now don’t get me wrong, at 6’ and 218 lds, I will put a hurt on if needed. I have almost 17 yrs. in the Corrections field, 9 in Law Enforcment and a few in private security. Been around and have found that if you can communicate well, most times ( not all mind you ) you can come to a agreement thats agreeable to both parties. Inmates for one are the mosr bone headed when trying to give advise to. So again I go with my last post…HAAAEEE…..:)

Svt FordSVT 60 posts

Shakey, it sounds like you kick ass first and ask questions later.
Not a bad way to go at times!!

Flag shakey 191 posts

Just remember, you get more with honey than you do with vinegar, So be nice and all will work out for you…..

If that fails, then OC do a little of that unarmed stuff….HAAAEEE, judo chop, judo chop, kick, kick.

100 5886 Sarge276 45 posts

My opinion? Hmmm… OC and a tazer. LOL
Truly the best way is follow policy, don’t lose your cool, and a little Doc Thompson’s Verbal Judo. If that don’t work, THEN use OC and a tazer…

Svt FordSVT 60 posts

Be open minded in your approach. Just remember, you always win at all cost.
There is always alternative measures too.

Male user joe1996 1 post

Explain the consequences of not cooperating. Give them a final chance to settle down, then execute the consequence.

Buckeye flag Mudflap 293 posts

Whatever happened to cenasgurl23? It’s been nearly a year since she posted.

Male user sam3678 1 post

Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need, thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

Male user OCCD 57 posts

It’s nice to be flexible, but indecision can kill. If you have committed to a planned use of force and thought it through properly, there better not be any “modification” of your plan or intentions. Otherwise your waffling will get a brother or sister Officer hurt.

Male user OCCD 57 posts

If the inmate can’t be counseled, isolate him/her for a while, then try again. If two inmates are fighting, send them both to lockdown. If they are still acting out and refuse to take direction, a restraint chair or bed is called for, assuming they display enough agressive intent.

Male user Gunfighter 21 posts

Inmates will challenge you just to challenge you over menial situations. Now add the element of criminality with the association of anti-social behavior, manipulation and defiance and you are going to have a bad day. I am going to give you the basics of communications with criminals that has worked for me as well as created a safer working environment and will give you the ability to generate voluntary compliance. However, not all situations will give you the results of compliance and force will be needed to resolve the conflict. Realize that sometimes, the individual may not want to be compliant or to be talked down and will want you to use force in order to test your resolve and skill for future actions. The key is knowing when this is a ruse, and when to call for assistance.

Ad ps3004faith posters securityinve... 2 posts

Hello,

new to the forum, but read through over the past few weeks and feel like home. I have worked corrections 20+ years, and been extremely successful at de-escalating situations. In short, I have found one simple rule to guide me, never go in without room to modify your intentions. So many times I have witnessed others stick to an agenda just to come back in stating they needed to find another way. Stay open, don’t go textbook, I know, with a Masters all the info in the textbooks don’t compare to some real life “know how”.

Male user Gunfighter 21 posts

Assessing behavior and preventing a physical assault should be accomplished whenever possible. It is critical for an officer to recognize and assess aggressive verbal and physical actions of a person. Recognizing verbal and nonverbal aggressive behavior signals will aid the officer in preventing and de-escalating situations. Also, it prepares the officer mentally and physically to take immediate counter actions should a physical assault occur. Before physical action by an aggressor occurs, that individual usually begins to threaten to attack, in an attempt to intimidate the opponent, through a process sometimes called posturing, ritualized combat, or affective aggression.

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

Congratulations. Welcome to the Corrections family.

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015