>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

If you had it to do over again

Subscribe to If you had it to do over again 17 posts, 11 voices

Login to reply

Buckeye flag Mudflap 293 posts

Thanks Kelly. I can appreciate getting “burned out” on the job. At least some of us have the occasional opportunity to change to a different post once in a while. It isn’t like we’re putting widgets in a unit day after day for thirty years. Things have sure changed over the past twenty years. I wonder what it will be like twenty years from now.

And yes, it IS a good job.

Female user Kellie 14 posts

I have been at this line of work for over 20 years. I was 23 when I first walked into a jail. After the initial shock of the place, I loved it. I have never wanted to work outside on the road. That only thing I would change…..I would have played for a few years when I was young and then maybe around 30 started my career. We cannot retire until we are 63……not something you are thinking about at 23. I have 8 more years before I can retire…..I am burned out, jails have become more liberal than I think is safe. I was not hired as a role model….I strive to be a good example, but that is not my main role.

Would I do it over again……YOU BET!!! This is the job that I was meant to do, i truely believe that. I am proud of my job and proud of my ability.

The answer the other question: What jobs have you done in the facility? Corrections Officer, Diciplinary Hearing officer, Work Release/Electronic Home Monitoring, Classification Officer…..every job offered except Court Officer….no desire to stand in the court room for hours on end. I have promoted through LT.

It is a good job.

Male user bigshow 3 posts

without a doubt, unless you work for one of the major car manufactures this is probably the best paying jobs for the work you actually perform on a daily basis

Female user Best Jail.com 6 posts

I have worked hard in my life before and with less pay, less recognition, less opportunites. I know what real work is, on your feet for 8 hours barely making minimum wages, no retirement in sight. Now tell me what do you think I would do? If I had to do it all over again I wouldn’t have waited until I was 33 years old. When I retire in about 7 years I will have a decent retirement with enough money to travel which I love to do. My kids don’t have to take care of me because all I have is a social security check and medicaid. Yes the job is stressful at times but i found that its other staff members that really make the job stressful and not so much as the inmates if you are fair and consistent with them. I’m a female and I have had more problems with my fellow officers and supervisors than I ever had with inmates. God said be thankful and content in all things………If you don’t think this is for you leave cause I ain’t going no where.

The questions I have is the ones who would do it over again with no changes, what jobs do you do within your institutions?

As far as doing everything over with no changes, probably everyone can look back and think “I shoulda done this” or “I shoulda done that” or “I shouldn’t have taken that position”. Hindsight is 20/20.

I’m a CO and am content.

I’m just trying to make nine months and retire with much sadness that I have wasted amost 25 years of my life with so many regrets.

I can’t imagine staying with a job for a quarter century with sadness and regrets. How long were you in before you started feeling that way?

Male user schwartzy39 1 post

Ive been doing this JOB for almost 17 years now ….at first it wasn’t bad thinking that you could make a difference….society has changed so much so that this newer generation has absolutely no respect …the JOB has become aggravating and now that that its a sought after JOB the Politics are herendous….The benefits are good and the $$ money is good but the quality of life thru – out the years dealing with scumbags and scammers…its nice to work in an enviroment where you don’t have to socialize and see the things that you wouldn’t normally deal with…but i guess all in all its what you make it….to do it all over again I think not…But I certainly respect the people who would….

Male user Gunfighter 21 posts

With all of these responses I kind of expected more officers would chime in. They are about half and half as to your responses. The questions I have is the ones who would do it over again with no changes, what jobs do you do within your institutions?

Female user ginia1948 1 post

I agree the jobs has benefits, as to doing it over I don’t think so. As a female in my department the good ole boy system has made life on the job a living hell. It stresses the body and soul. I’m just trying to make nine months and retire with much sadness that I have wasted amost 25 years of my life with so many regrets.

Male user OCCD 57 posts

I agree with Mudflap, but with twelve hour shifts, (I started on 8s,) and ever higher levels of political interference, I’ll probably go back to the road. That’s an option here in Florida as both can be on same retirement plan. (FRS) I don’t think I’d take the job today if I had to start on twelves. Too many hours to be locked up!

Male user Steelheader 2 posts

Gunfighter, I have left corrections then came back. I left because of the pay originally and just being young and not close to my family. When you leave, it’s great at first. Yes, I made more money, but at the end of the day there was no pride with your fellow workers and it was just a job. After being out I thought about what I used to do. Long story short you will get a thousand answers for your question. This job is for some people and not for others. For me it’s more then a paycheck. The challenge to this job is the same and different all in a moments notice. My 2 cents. I’d do it over again a 3rd time if I had to.

By the way, “a gallon of mile” should have read “a gallon of milk”!

If you knew then what you know now and if you had it all to do over again; would you take the job as a corrections officer?

Bottom line: Yes. But would probably take the job sooner than I did. On the other hand, without the past experience I’ve had in law enforcement (and some of the other jobs I had before corrections) I would not be the same person I am today. I know people who have worked Corrections exclusively and some of them don’t realize/appreciate their job.

It’s more complicated than “just for the paycheck” though. It’s nice to go home at the end of shift and not be covered in grease… not worry about being called back because someone got into a fight… not worry about taking a day off without pay to go to a funeral… and it’s really really nice to be able to go to the store, buy a gallon of mile and a loaf of bread, and not worry about having enough money to pay for it. I can beat the money I make now, but can’t touch the benefits, so it was more benefits that drew me to my job. Now the benefits are being chipped away, and like Shakey I’m too old and have too much time invested to start over.

I’ve told a lot of people that I’d hate to have to “work” for a living… I don’t believe I would have the stamina for construction work today!

Shakey, I see this everyday. New officers enter the profession with eyes wide open and as they work longer thier eyes get filled with more anger, frustration, dissapointment and at this point they make a decision. Stay or leave. I have to wonder if I stay because I like the pay or the challange. I tell myself that they will never break me and yet there are times where I want to walk away with my sanity still intact. The stress is real and combine that with the frustration of the administration and it takes a toll on your body.

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

In the blink of an eye. I love this job. And not to blow my own horn but I am very good at it. I like to believe that we all have a niche in life and this is mine. I have been at it for 10 yrs and I still look forward to going to work.

Flag shakey 191 posts

For me, yeah. But only because this is all I knew at the time I hired in( wearing a badge ). But if I had a different trade I would not be here, The best thing, is that it’s a descent paying job here in Ohio, well so far, it has enabled me to get where I’’m at financially, so that I can save more for retirement. But the down side is that it comes with a price. To me and a lot of C/O’s I know, the negativity that surrounds you with this job eats at the soul. Oh, you will find others to bond with but you’ll also keep a close eye on the rest. This is one job where the crap comes at you from all angles, the stress alone stamps out a lot of Officers carriers before their time. I only have 8+ years untill retirement maybe more if the State moves back the age requirment? but I’m done, I have invested to much time to start over, but then again sometimes I toy with the thought of coming in to just say " I quit and leave "…;) Anyone who tell’s you that this is thier dream job is either young, stupid or a few fries short of a happy meal. The other 95% will tell you it’s only for the pay check that they stay.

My question to you all is this; a simple question worthy of your honorable answer. If you knew then what you know now and if you had it all to do over again; would you take the job as a corrections officer?

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015