>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Riot at the Adams County Corretional Center in Mississippi

Subscribe to Riot at the Adams County Corretional Center in Mississippi 9 posts, 3 voices

Login to reply

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

Absolutely Commander. We take care of our own, all of our brothers and sisters in corrections.

Male user commander 277 posts

Jamestown, that brings back very fond memories. I remember several years ago right before Christmas, one of my Officers called and needed relieved to go home. The Captain asked why and he said he had gotten a phone call that his house had burned down. He was immediately sent home and the Warden was called. Now understand, the Warden, DWO, DWA, Major and security and administrative staff were at our annual Christmas party. The Captain contacted the Warden, who immediately passed the hat around. Anytime you collect money for something at our prison, you have to have a letter signed off on by the Warden. Captain contacted myself and the other Lt’s and said Warden -———- just said to go around and collect money. Within a matter of days, all four shifts had collected several thousand dollars and filled up two vans full of toys, clothing and food. As tough and hard as I am (not bragging), my eyes watered up. I don’t know why, this happens anytime a brother or sister is in need. The Officer could not believe what had happened. Myself and my wife drove to his hometown and gave his two children gift cards to buy their own presents with. I later found out that a large number of people also did that. After the riot in 1993, we received plaques and letters from prisons all over the United States and Canada. California Peace Officers Association sent money to the Officers that had been hostage. While the riot was going on and the men were being held hostage, someone mowed their yards, took their kids to school and made sure their families were fed. Never amazes me how tight the bond really is.

Jamestown, that brings back very fond memories. I remember several years ago right before Christmas, one of my Officers called and needed relieved to go home. The Captain asked why and he said he had gotten a phone call that his house had burned down. He was immediately sent home and the Warden was called. Now understand, the Warden, DWO, DWA, Major and security and administrative staff were at our annual Christmas party. The Captain contacted the Warden, who immediately passed the hat around. Anytime you collect money for something at our prison, you have to have a letter signed off on by the Warden. Captain contacted myself and the other Lt’s and said Warden -———- just said to go around and collect money. Within a matter of days, all four shifts had collected several thousand dollars and filled up two vans full of toys, clothing and food. As tough and hard as I am (not bragging), my eyes watered up. I don’t know why, this happens anytime a brother or sister is in need. The Officer could not believe what had happened. Myself and my wife drove to his hometown and gave his two children gift cards to buy their own presents with. I later found out that a large number of people also did that. After the riot in 1993, we received plaques and letters from prisons all over the United States and Canada. California Peace Officers Association sent money to the Officers that had been hostage. While the riot was going on and the men were being held hostage, someone mowed their yards, took their kids to school and made sure their families were fed. Never amazes me how tight the bond really is.

Some of our officers belong to the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) in New York CIty. The one branch is almost entirely COs and they are very dedicated to officers.In fact if a brother or sister is sick, injured they visit them and if as in this case we lose an officer the FOP does everything they can to help the spouse and family.

Once you get it in your blood, it makes no difference how long you have been away from it, (4 months for me), it will never leave you. Like my Military time. Still tie my shoe laces left over right, still iron my clothes and still walk with perfect posture. I miss being around my people, don’t miss the prison itself. A lot less stress. If anyone gets any contact information on this sister’s family needs, please post it on here. Would love to send them whatever they need. Would love for them to know that people like us grieve with them.

I watched the riot on CNN. It is a sad day that we lose a brother or sister in corrections regardless of where they work, county-state-federal. My condolences to the family of the deceased officer.

Well said Turnkey. Very well said. I am retired now but, my heart still skips a beat when I read about my brothers and sisters dying in the line of duty. Never been to Canada, planning a bear hunt there real soon. Stay in touch my brother. I tell folks all the time, only we, know what we go through everyday. We are all we have. Have a great one.

Halloween 2 Turnkey 9 posts

I too feel your grief. I have lost brothers and sisters in my tenure. It is always a question of, what if…how did it…who’s to blame…what could I have done….IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME….. We are all in a very unpredictable field of work! These questions will never be answered. No-one can predict anyone in this field, public, state/provincial or private, maximum, medium, or minimum! We are dealing with people! Their mind, intent and emotions will change everyday and most times we won’t know it or recognize it. Please have comfort knowing that all our corrections colleagues chose a difficult and dangerous field to protect us and all of you. We all know this going in and unfortunately some will pay the ultimate sacrifice. It is horrific that it takes occurances like this to make us all remember that what we do and how we do it affects not only ourselves but everyone around us. To the injured, please know that your efforts and experiences through this will not be forgotten. Take care of yourself and your family before you come back to work. Your families have suffered as much as you! I pray Officer Carithers family and friends can find peace in knowing she was doing a desperately needed and often thankless, stressful job which she obviously believed in very much. In solidarity, respect, and gratitude.
Brad Fleming, Correctional Officer, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

300 Inmates seized control of the prison this past Sunday. According to a news report, it is a private low security prison operated by Corrections Corp. of America. The riot was thought to be gang related and houses mostly illegal immigrants for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. One Officer was killed and an additional 16 prison employees were injured and treated at a local hospital. Senior Officer Catlin Carithers 24, was killed apparently from blunt trauma to the head. Two dozen hostages were safe. I know exactly how the employees feel at this prison. I, too, went through a riot and lost a brother. I want to offer my condolences to the family of Catlin Carithers. It is a very sad day for our corrections community when we lose a brother or sister in the line of duty. I pay highest respects to her and know she will be sadly missed. To the staff of Adams County Correctional Center, know in your grief that you are not alone. We all feel your pain. I will pray for all of you. My hope is you find peace through the strength and honor of your Correctional Family. Everyone who works at any Correctional Facility has the fear of what transpired at your facility. Having been through this, I share in your grief and pain. GOD bless you all and keep you safe.

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015