>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Employment in Corrections...

Subscribe to Employment in Corrections... 19 posts, 12 voices

Login to reply

Male user Squeeze 135 posts

All good. While I don’t rink much(my wife is German from Wis. she drinks that Linengoogle stuff). Being from thew Northwest but living here in the midwest I miss a good salmon,clam, oyster and Goeduc bake with some crab and Red Hook Beer. Used to be able to get it localy but not anymore so I will do with the Harp when my daughter comes from Chi-town.

Flag1 1 shakeyjake 112 posts

Ah, morning wood. I remember those days. Now it’s wake up and pee every 3-4 hours. Damn you type-2, I hope you rot in a medical research hell. Oh, I like the seasonal Ocktober fest beer from Samual Adams.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

Yes, we have Harp Lager here in Ohio. It’s one of my favorite import brews. Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat is also great. Lately I’ve been on a Reds Apple Ale kick, it’s tasty but not what I consider to be a classic good beer. Nothing better on the weekends than a cold one to unwind with your friends after the long week so I try to branch out and try new brews. Never know what you might find.

Male user RCJ 49 posts

I prefer Morning Wood, it’s an awesome coffee stout.

Barney fife 238x300 knuckle dragger 42 posts

Squeeze…….. FYI Capital brewery: spotted cow. Summit: extra pale ale. Anything from Rush river or Leinenkugels .iT’S LIKE AN ANGEL PISSING ON YOUR TONGUE.

Male user Squeeze 135 posts

Irish, I’ll take an occasional Harp Lager if you can get it in your part of the states. Otherwise a good unsweeted ice tea is it for me(Black tea).

Male user brinley45cal 2 posts

here in ky you have to be 21 to be able to work in corrections.

What I wouldn’t give for a tall frosty Arrogant Bastard right now… Yes there actually is a beer named Arrogant Bastard Ale.

Flag shakey 191 posts

Ein bier bitta, or mabe more. SCHUlTIZE ( I think thats how it’s spelled) bier was my first german brew and it was bitter as all get out it. After the second bottle it got better, drink a small glass, chase it down with a bit of Affle Korn, them run to the Kudan for some fun. I would love some curry wurst mit pom frits right now.

Male user Alex 16 posts

SHAKEY: Yes Molson is still made and has it’s HQ in Canada however it is owned by a US company which I think is called Molson-Coors. Local breweries up here often have better beers these days. I myself became a fan of German beer while living in Berlin.

I’ll echo what the last couple posters said and give a link I always find amusing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfm_upp_c40

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

We see all of what Campi was saying because we deal with the underbelly of society. Most civilians live their lives and rarely if ever see the darker side of human nature that we work with on a daily basis. To them we are characters in a National Geographic/ Discovery Channel documentary or Sadistic/Incompetent characters in some movie or drama. And what they see on TV is “Not Real”. If only they could see the un-edited versions of those Documentaries they might get some inkling of what we do.

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

Any person who works in corrections for a stint of time will be affected by it. I have become a lot more aware of the world around me. I can pick out the criminals at the stores, fairs, and what not. I notice the pedophiles at the parks sitting in their cars looking too hard at the children. People in corrections pick up on what humanity has in it and can see the worst parts of it in people locked up and not. It varies how this affects you or changes you. Though I have yet to see anyone it hasn’t changed in some way.

Female user mta7035 33 posts

I read this thread with great interest as I often meet with nurses who have never done correctional nursing but express an interest in trying it. We aren’t corrections officers in most states and know very little in general about the law, but we deal mostly with the psychological repercussions of incarceration. It does change you, working day in and day out with this population. I have seen officers and nurses show who they really are on the outside by committing offenses like bringing in contraband either for love or money. It’s so easy to cross lines and do things that aren’t right and so terribly hard at times to uphold what you know to be right. Know that a lot of the men and or women who are housed in the facility are not much older than you but have lived hard and sometimes dangerous lives. Whatever your decision, I wihs you well.

Best of luck.

Male user BlackHat9317 3 posts

Thank you guys for the responses. I have had my slight insight into the good, bad, and ugly of the world with my fire service, and 5 of my fellow firefighters are Corrections Officers at the prison in which I have applied for here in Pennsylvania. I have spoken with them and gotten the insight and some advice. They feel that I would be fine so long as I can keep my outview on the world at work, and at home different and handle situations well when the worst of the worst can happen. I feel I can do that, and this is a field I would see myself pursueing and getting in to. Just hoping I can get the job at the local prison and begin training and working…

Working in corrections/law enforcement will change your life. Some for the good, some for the less than good. Gather all the info you need to make a well informed decision first. Talk to real people in the field, cause just like the military don’t believe everything a recruiter tells you.

Flag shakey 191 posts

Oh man, to be 19 again..let’s see, when I was 19, I was in Berlin staring the East Germans in the eye across from me at Check Point Charley with the 287th MPs and….well I was learning the fine art of german beer also.

Don’t worry you’ll do fine. The way I see it, is you’ve already out done most of your peers, because you found us, the ELITE of the ELITE.

Take Mick here he’ll give you the insight of the Correction field from across the pond. plus he reads David Eddings for christ sakes (Terry Brooks is also good ).

A lot of us are from the USA (me ohio) some from Canada, another great place to broaden your horizon, plus they have the band RUSH and Molson beer, ( I’m a Yuengling drinker right now )

One thing good about starting in the Correction field at a yound age, is that you get to see and read about the ulgy, nasty, Gory stuff that seeps into humanity from certain types of people that Corrections was ment for.

By the way, is Molson made in Canada?.

Hi Josh. My advice to you would be to leave Law Enforcement alone for a few more years. Especially Corrections. At 19 you are still very young and our profession can at times be brutal both physically and mentally.
But if you are determined to join the family I would suggest reading these Topics “Starting Career in Corrections” and “Is it negative as it sounds.” They will give a small insight into the world you are looking to join. I would also suggest you talk to some of the folks that work in the prison. They will be in the best position to give you a heads up.
And if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. You have several Millennium’s worth of experience to draw from all the folks on here.

Male user BlackHat9317 3 posts

My name is Josh, and I am a 19 year old volunteer firefighter and welder. I have been pursueing an interest in Law Enforcement and Corrections for some time now. A spot jut opened up for the County Prison near me, and I met the requirements so I have applied. However I figured it may be good to get some insight on the world of corrections… Is there anything I should know or be sure of before pursuing this path? I am a strong willed and minded person who is decently fit and feel that I will be able to handle the environment with training and becoming used to it with time, however it’s an environment I have never been in before…

Just looking for some advice, pointers, or anything I should know… feel free to ask me questions, and any comments are greatly appreciated!

Thank You

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015