>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Hello all

Subscribe to Hello all 121 posts, 9 voices

Login to reply

Male user commander 277 posts

Outstanding “Gun.” My hope for you is that you remain that excited when you go to work your prison. I remained that excited for about 24 years. My last 2 years and 3 months were looking forward to retirement. I knew that one day the time would come and it did. I bought 3 years and 10 months of military time so I could retire early. I still get my 30 year pension but my actual time was 26 years and 2 months. Military time was expensive but, well worth it. Everyone knows when the time is right. You get to the point where it becomes a job and not a challenge. Learn all you can. In ohio we call gangs and other disruptive groups, STG (Security Threat Group). Take any class you can get on that. Will help you on the street as well. You will see gang members, the same ones that were always there and you missed them before. Just like corrections itself. Your observation skills will sharpen quickly. You will find yourself walking through a store and checking everyone out. Some people might look at that as paranoid. I caught it being super alert. I used to watch people shop lift at Wal Mart and before they would start to leave, I would tell them what they stole, where they stole it and to put it back. They always did. Some looked at me like I had xray vision. You senses will come alive when you are home. Good Luck and stay alert.

Dream car BridgeportCO 63 posts

Just finished my first day of training and we stuck with the ‘last names only’ policy. Two other people in our original group weren’t there, who knows what happened. And the Case Manager gave me the nickname ‘Gun’ already since my last name is Winchester. It was a good day, now gotta read some more from the handbook and the rules and policies.

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

Absolutely agree Irish. Last names are more professional and respectful to officers. Aside from that you really don’t want the inmates to know your first name-after all we are not friends and family in a jail. Respect is the key and always will be. If you give respect 90 percent of the time the inmates will be respectful to you. Good advice also about forgetting where you work after the shift is done. Do something that is totally unrelated to corrections that makes you happy.

Commander that reminds me about writing reports. We had a CO who was the worst report writer in the entire facility. In fact, his reports are used in the academy for lessons on how not to write it down. One of his reports after a fight on the floor said this: “I see fight. Call Help..Help come.” That was all he wrote. No date, no time, no names, nothing. Amazing.

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

Commander I was just laughing at your description of the conduct report. I usually annoy the bosses by writing them in legalize. Because then they have to translate it into a more simple form of English for the inmate.

Isr DT Instructor 108 posts

Well rook at least you know you role! Stay in your lane and you’ll be just fine.

What is worse is when an Officer talks like them in a Conduct Report. For instance. “Sir, while conducting a routine cell shakedown I found a scribe with threats to staff in it.” I always gave them the ticket back and told them to re-write it and leave out the inmate slang.

Just be careful you don’t get in the habit of copying inmates slang: “YO”….“Word Up”…

Hehehe, I know my role :)

I new that 3 letter word would eventually rear its ugly head. LOL………………..

Isr DT Instructor 108 posts

Look here FNG, ………. hahaha! Had to say it.

Thank you and I appreciate y’all talking to me, even though I’m the FNG :)

Good luck Bridgeport. Be sure and let us know how you are doing and what we can do to help. Hope you have a great career and stay safe.

I agree completely, and I enjoy learning everything I can. I peed in a cup today and got jabbed with a needle and have to go back to see if I have TB Wednesday, then training starts Monday, I’m so pumped!

Glad you admit you have a lot to learn. I seen so many come in on their first day and try to impress. They would nod and say Yea I know. I would stop and say, No you don’t. That is why I am here teaching you, because you don’t. Go in eyes and ears open and be like a sponge. Soak it all up. Go home that night, cup of coffee and a smoke on the porch. Then sort out in your head using common sense, everything you learn that day and each day and you will be amazed at how quickly you pick up the job. When you speak to anyone, even Inmates, look them in the eye. Mean what you say and say what you mean. You will find some other Officers are cool with the Inmates. There is a big difference between being cool with the Inmates and having good rapport with them. When Inmates realize how you are, see how you carry yourself and know you are going to follow the rules, policies and post orders but, you will be fair everyday, you will get their respect. They may not like you but, they will respect and listen to you. You’ll see. Six months from now, your way of thinking and your observation skills will sharpen drastically if you go in each day with an open mind. Remember if you don’t know, say NO, if you are wrong, later go to the Inmate that you told no and tell them you found out they could or whatever. Respect is a must in Corrections.

I’m all about learning, good or bad, and putting it to good use. Luckily I’m not completely naive about that side of life but I also know I have a shit ton to learn!

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

As Jamestown has said you will be astonished at their ingenuity for getting contraband in. And you are going to get an education about societies underbelly that few outside Law Enforcement even know exists.

It blows my mind to read so many stories of people doing such dumb stuff. I’m not the trusting sort to begin with and I feel like I would excel in this line of work, but I’m sure I will know more when training starts, it’s driving me crazy being at home, I’m ready to start now!

Inmates are not looking to plant contraband on any CO, they have 24 hours a day to think of ways to goof with the staff. NO inmate can be trusted, ever. Contraband can come from outside in many ways. The most common is visiting, work crews, incoming new inmates secreting contraband on themselves and sometimes from the exterior fences. By fences we have caught not only the inmate but the accomplice on the outside throwing contraband into the yard. The seem to forget there are cameras everywhere that capture live video in color, even at night. Anything brought into a facility by a non-staff member must be searched thoroughly. In fact in all NY state prisons every tool that a maintenance man or repairman brings into the facility has to be inventoried in and out of the facility. Sometimes it takes an hour for the inventory to be done going in and coming out. Clothing such as shirts, shorts, socks should never be accepted by the facility in person, it should be mailed in the original packaging, white and no markings at all. Most facilities limit the number of shorts, tee shirts and socks (7 pairs or less). You wouldn’t think anyone would be so stupid to send marijuana in a package to an inmate but we did have one female who sent a carton with weed in the bottom. Unfortunately for her she used her real name and address. Stay safe.

Again, wow, I knew I had to keep my eyes peeled but DAMN.

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

Its not them putting items on you so much as a lunch box or outside crews (if you have them) placing stuff in your car. commander is right about the staff but sadly dirty or not when the crap flies you can only truly rely on your fellow staff.

Wow, awesome advice and good to know, I love hand sanitizer so that’s no problem. I can honestly say if I feel like I would ever put anyone in danger because the fear became too much, I would quit. I couldn’t live with myself if I knew I got someone seriously hurt, or worse. How would I handle a situation where they planted something on me? I don’t plan on letting them get that close, but who knows what situation I may get in.

Very well put campi. I don’t totally agree with you on trusting all staff. I have met some I wouldn’t trust walking my dog. In general, you have to put in some measure of trust in all. You will find out who is deserving of trust. Don’t be baited by miserable people. Plenty of them in corrections. Misery loves company is very true. Live your life on your terms. Seek advice when needed and always be willing to jump into the mix, no matter what you think might be the outcome. We Warriors breathe, eat and sleep honor. You have to be willing to give it all for the safety of each other. Always remember, inside the jail or prison, each other is all you have.

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

Well I get your a parent so you know the voice in your head that tells you your kids are trying to see how many potato chips can fit into the DVD player. It works exceptionally well at work too listen to it. I would suggest that starting out look at phone and your chair let alone anything you touch or pick up. Inmates like to smear tooth paste, feces, and probably in your situation other womanly secretions on them if you do your job. Also when shaking down wear gloves and wash hands and never get lazy and run your hand over the back side or inside of something you can look in by bending over or picking it up. I use hand sanitizer religiously. I have no idea if your institution allows it in but if not just submit a MSDS sheet (This can be found on the products web site most of the time. Keep in mind you’ll need one for what every brand of product so pick the one you like.) To the health and safety person and once on file should be allowed into your compound. Do not forget to shake yourself down in your car before you go in least you bring your cell phone in or some other thing that you or your children put in your lunch box. Also on your way out forgetting to turn in equipment is a pain to bring back to the control center or even worse if you do your job inmates will plant stuff on you. Trust your fellow staff regardless if there are some dirty ones most are good people(though I have noticed that the people in corrections tend to have a few kinks). The most important advice I can give you is that you will be tested every day by either new inmates or older ones that are seeing if you will change. Be firm, fair, and constant. If you do not know the answer to something the answer is no. You can always change a no later but if you tell them yes that can never be changed to a no without a long drawn out argument or even a fight. Also do not put on a persona unless you intent to use it every day. Simply be yourself and fallow policy if you can do that the job becomes simple. Also let them know you intend to walk out of the prison at the end of the shift be it around, through, or over them. Most of all have fun at work (I find it hard not to laugh when I find an inmate smoking knowing that the weed they are puffing on at one point or another was inside another inmate’s rectum). I wish you luck in your new carrier choice and hope you will stay safe.

My family is my rock and, believe me, I despise games, rumors and anything in general that makes me feel like I’m dealing with a high school clique. I’ve always been a ‘one of the guys’ type of person, but only because I’m usually tougher than they are :) If I’m working with a female that feels the need to be an attention whore, we will probably butt heads but I guess I’ll find out soon enough!

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015