>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Hello all

Subscribe to Hello all 121 posts, 9 voices

Login to reply

Male user commander 277 posts

I used to tell all the new females at my old prison to keep their self respect. Don’t want to be one of the guys so bad you become their gossip. Best way to stay ahead of the game is don’t become part of it. I think you know what I mean. First time they talk in a manner you are not comfortable with, let them know. Next time they do, let a Supervisor know. Any man worth is weight in salt don’t play those games. I didn’t get my honey where I got my money. My honey was at home waiting on me. Couldn’t have done it all those years without her. Irish knows what kind of supervisor I was. I might not have been the best ever but, I was fair, firm and consistent.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

Good to hear. Just do your best to remember your family and friends are a support system. They might not be able to relate to the job or understand what it is that drives correctional staff towards a breaking point, but if they care they will do they best they can to understand.

Dream car BridgeportCO 63 posts

Yeah, my first name is rather unique so I’d rather just keep it to myself. My family is about the only thing that keeps me sane some days and it will definitely be an adjustment but they’ll let me know if I need a break, then it’s fishin time! Part of me wants to find the warm fuzzies thread, but part of me is slightly worried. Thanks again everyone I’m happy I found this forum, it will help as an outlet for me as well with people that know where I’m coming from.

Using last names only is a good idea. Not only is it more professional but in my mind I don’t want inmates knowing any more about me than they have to. Lots of good people here will try to help you on your way. Jamestown, Mick, and I’ve personally worked with Commander and Mudflap. Another thing is don’t be surprized if you don’t get the warmest welcome from staff at the start. They have to feel you out same as you do them. Nothing personal but in this environment trust takes time to build and only seconds to destroy. Be professional, keep your head up and on straight, do what is expected of you and with time you’ll come to understand why corrections officers are one big disfunctional family. One more thing, for everything thats important in your own life find an outlet for work flustrations. (yes they will happen) Take up a hobby, spend time with your kids and or husband/signifcant other, plan vacations when you can, anything thats not self destructive. Like many I went down the hard road and learned that lesson the rough way. So in the old confusing paradox “do as I say, not as I did”. Always hated when the old man told me that.

Warm and fuzzies? I think we had a previous conversation on that topic elsewhere on this board.

I know it will change me, and my family also knows that they may have to remind me that they aren’t criminals. But hopefully this will help me to make sure I do everything I can to make sure they never become one. Thanks for all of the encouragement and advice, it gives the warm fuzzies and all

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

Quote:
“I agree 100%, although I did threaten my child (jokingly) that I would run my home like my work if any shenanigans ensued :) "

You laugh about it now but as the years go by you will sub-consciously do things at home. Not in a bad way but this job will change you. So enjoy the ride because very few careers come close to ours.

It’s nice to know that a bit of fear is healthy, cause I know I’m gonna have some! But I figure that will help me stay on my toes. I agree that consistancy is important and I’m going to do the best I can, I said I’m not there to make friends but I’m also not there to make enemies, either! Thanks everyone for the advice, I know I’m going to need it. And, yeah, I like my name too :)

I was never worried to much about facebook. If they want to know enough about you, they can find out. I had one sending threatening emails to my state email. That was real smart of him. He is now locked back up. But, just do your job stay firm, fair and consistent. Treat them with the respect they have coming. If they don’t respect you, don’t respect them. Once they get used to you, you will be fine. I had a number of old convicts tell me on my last day working, “LT. you were an asshole and we are glad to see you go but, we will miss you. You kept the blocks running consistently and you never changed. We knew what you would be like everytime we saw you. Respect you for that LT.” Kind of made me feel as though they noticed me and knew not to play games. Keep your head up and don’t be afraid to be afraid. If you work in a prison and know no fear, you are either lying or you are way to crazy to still breathe on your own. Bottle up your fear and let it motivate you to never become complacent. Take care Winchester. I like that name.

Thanks for the advice, I figure the only thing anyone needs to know is how I look and they can call me ‘Winchester’ (yes that’s actually my last name). During the assessment another CO suggested even during training only using last names, which I liked. My kids even have different last names then I do, plus I’ve already made my Facebook as private as I can get, hopefully that will be sufficient, but I’m always open to any privacy suggestions, thanks again.

The best way to adapt as Jamestown said, be professional at all times when working. Leave work at work and home at home. Anytime you discuss your personal business at work, the Inmates pick up on that and formulate a game plan as to how to find your weakness. If an Inmate asks you to bring them in anything, even a tissue from home, write that Inmate a conduct report and it will let the others know that you aint the one. If they ask you personal questions about yourself, respectfully remind them of your job duties and that you will not disclose personal information about yourself. Watch what you talk about with other officers. If you don’t want the Inmates to know, don’t tell anyone. You will find out who you can trust and who you can’t. Be very observant. You will be surprised after several years on the job of what you will see at the local store. Your observation skills will be so sharp it will be hard for anyone to get over on you. Don’t take it personal if an Inmates does slide one by you (so to speak). They have all day everyday to think of ways to beat the system. We only have working hours to figure out how to catch them.

Luckily, I will be working in a womens pre parole transfer facility, but I also know that you have to be on your toes every minute, no matter what because they will be watching especially since I am new. I am of the attitude that I will show respect as long as you give it, I’m not there to make friends but I’m also not a power tripped douchebag, either. Hopefully I have the right mindset, but if not I’m sure it will adapt with experience.

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

I think Commander and Irish would agree with me in suggesting that you act PROFESSIONALLY at all times on the job. Regardless of what other COs do, hold yourself to a higher standard than they do. Respect others (including inmates) as you would expect them to respect you. Lastly, as a female officer I want to suggest as I did to the first female officer I trained to work with male inmates-stand your ground and don’t let inmates cross the line with respect toward you. If they do react to it immediately by doing counseling and if needed write an incident report.

I agree 100%, although I did threaten my child (jokingly) that I would run my home like my work if any shennanigans ensued :) I’m big on asking questions when I’m not sure, but right now I know pretty much nothing so I figured I would wait until after training to ask anything.

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

Welcome to the group discussions. You will learn more here than in the corrections academy. My advise, look, listen, ask questions and learn. Remember its a career, not a job and the most important thing is regardless of what happens at the jail/prison, leave it there.

Thanks guys, I appreiciate the ‘welcomes’. One of the reasons I like this forum is it seems more ‘real’ than others I’ve seen and I know I’m going to get a straight answer whether I like it or not from people with actual experience as well as book knowledge. And wise asses are fantastic :D

I am a bit of a wise arse from time to time but I do take my actual job seriously. Big thing is if you don’t know then ask. If you really don’t know then there is no such thing as a dumb question. Only dumb people who don’t ask questions, the occasional dumb answer, sometimes a few dumb explanations and the ever present dumb ideas. But anyways… point is ask questions of anything you don’t understand. if your not quite sure of the answer you get then ask someone else. just like doctors, second opinions are sometimes needed. just be sure to go with the accurate one.

Good luck in your career in corrections. If any of us can be of help, don’t hesitate to ask. I recently retired from a Maximum Security Prison in Ohio. Over 26 years of honorable service. Reading others posts such as Irish Assasin, Mick, Jamestown, just to name a few, you are in good hands. These guys know their business and are professionals. First piece of advice, keep an open mind and always be willing to soak up knowledge like a sponge. Have thick skin and have an outlet for stress. You are entering one of the most stressful jobs but, also a very rewarding job. Take care. Welcom aboard.

Haha, sadly I have no ruby shoes so I guess I’ll just have to put on my big girl undies and deal with it!

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

Hope you brought your Ruby Shoes. LOL. Because you can click your heals and say "There is no place like home. There is no place like home. LOL

Welcome to the zoo…

I just wanted to introduce myself :) I’m new in Corrections (supposed to start training July 5th, I’m hoping for sooner) and have been checking out this forum for about a week now. I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve read so far and I hope to be able to join the posts as I learn more and know what I’m talking about! I hope everyone stays safe and if I should have posted an introduction elsewhere, ,my apologies!

CO Winchester

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015